Deadline to apply and submit audition video is March 1.
All applicants will be notified by March 4 if they have been selected for the showcase.
All applicants, please read through the following information. All performers selected to be in the showcase on March 31, 2019, will be given a Participant Handbook with guidelines for the day-of.
- Talent can be from any area such as dance, drama, music, etc.
- Talent can be performed by a single person or a group of any size.
- Participants must be in grades 1-12 and live in Mobile or Baldwin Counties.
- Acts should be no longer than 2 minutes. The piece should be appropriate to the performer’s age and our audience (G rated). Show committee will have final authority on appropriateness of the selection.
- A student can only apply once. If a student is in more than one group or wants to apply with a group and as an individual, the student must choose only one to apply with.
- Participants are selected during the audition process on the basis of the judgement of a panel of 3 judges.
- Participants must be able to attend their assigned showcase on March 31 2019.
- Participants are responsible for their own costumes. The committee has final authority on the safety and appropriateness of costuming.
- All props must be integral to the performance. Backdrops will not be allowed.
- The only instrument that will be provided the day of the showcase is a piano.
- No live accompaniment is permitted. If selected, participants must provide any music tracks on CD or as an MP3/MP4 file.
- The age division/group category winners will perform at the Mobile Civic Center during the Distinguished Young Women National Finals Community Night on Wednesday, June 26, 2019.
- All money won for your school (i.e. elementary, middle or high school) must be earmarked for an arts program. The winner can choose the arts program the funds should go toward.
- Schools receiving the funds must be located in Mobile or Baldwin Counties.
- If a group wins and members attend more than one school, the funds can either be divided amongst the schools or given to a particular school at the winner’s request.
- If the winner is homeschooled, the funds will be donated in their name to the public school which they are zoned for.
- If you won last year, you cannot compete in the same age division, category and type of talent. Example: If you won Mini last year as a solo act and singing, you cannot compete as that again. But, you may compete as either a Kids Solo act (different age division), Mini Group act (different category), or Mini Solo act playing an instrument (different type of talent).
All applicants must submit the below application (one per individual or group). Please tape the talent wearing the costuming you would have on at the showcase. This video does not need to be professionally made (using a phone is acceptable). Keep in mind that the talent can only be a maximum of 2 minutes.
- Email a video to Valerie@DistinguishedYW.org. If you have trouble submitting, please call Valerie at 251.438.3621.
- Email a link to a YouTube or other video sharing service page of your performance to Valerie@DistinguishedYW.org.
- OR Mail a DVD to: Spotlight, 751 Government St., Mobile, AL 36602 (write the name of group or individual on the DVD)